Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Oct 2017 22:59 #255485

Sevej wrote:
So, here's the funny thing I discovered during last weekend.

I love GTA Vice City. I tried playing other GTA (3, San Andreas, 4), but they never click like Vice City. Then I realized why. In Vice City, the mission first mission I visit a colone's yacht, see some of the city's bigwigs, and drive the colonel's daughter with a sportscar to a club. That feels... rich. I still do petty things, but the NPCs are classy. Even my lowliest contact is a lawyer.

Playing San Andreas last weekend made me realize this. I am doing shitty jobs, surrounded by shitty people. Does this count as racist? I do hope the game get better and my homies get more development.
They do get more developed, to be sure. But the games are exploring very different criminal genres. VICE CITY is cocaine-riddled Miami scene. Money was everywhere. SAN ANDREAS is looking at crack-addled Los Angeles. Misery was everywhere. I won't try to unpack this vis-a-vis racism, but the games definitely make a statement about how cocaine impacted America in different ways depending on where and how you lived.
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2028
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Oct 2017 01:57 #255489

Ah, thanks for the insight. I wasn't asking whether the game is being racist, but whether am I being racist...
  • Sevej
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 652

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Oct 2017 08:20 #255493

Hehe, not at all. It's ok to find nicer things enjoyable. I preferred Call of Duty missions on ships and skyrises to those in favelas in South America

Here's the potential racist part: I was more trigger happy in the favela as opposed to the airport in Russia where I would check my targets before firing. Remember those kids in City of God? Yeah, I wasted those motherfuckers
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2712
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
Last Edit: 11 Oct 2017 08:23 by Black Barney.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Oct 2017 09:00 #255494

I've been playing Resident Evil 0 on PC. I never played it back when it came out on Gamecube. I'm actually enjoying it more than I should.

These old Resident Evil games follow the same formula over and over...
1. kill zombies
2. find locked door
3. find key to door on opposite end of map
4. you picked up the key, triggering more zombies

And that's okay, I'm having a decent time, even as it makes me appreciate the advances that games have made in the time since this game was made.

Albert Wesker is a jerk.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1507

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Oct 2017 09:10 #255495

Vlad wrote:
Oh, a 7 is definitely not good. I thought it was supposed to be more cartoonish than the other 2.
I played it for a couple of hours about a year ago, but don't remember anything.

Consider Torchlight. Similar gameplay, more cartoony artwork.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1860
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Oct 2017 09:48 #255500

Oh man, I've always wanted to play Resident Evil 0 (after loving RE1 so much) but I don't want someone to walk in on me when I'm playing using Rebecca in her alternative cheerleader costume.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2712
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Oct 2017 11:00 #255503

Ha! I was looking at her inventory and found the costumes. She has some weird leather outfit and something else, might have been a cheerleader. I kept her in her STARS gear.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1507

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Oct 2017 11:49 #255505

Legomancer wrote:
Vlad wrote:
Oh, a 7 is definitely not good. I thought it was supposed to be more cartoonish than the other 2.
I played it for a couple of hours about a year ago, but don't remember anything.

Consider Torchlight. Similar gameplay, more cartoony artwork.
Is CASTLE CRASHERS still a thing? That's fun. Maybe a little too twitchy for 7yo. TORCHLIGHT is the best recommendation (they are all good). The TRINE games are puzzly little platformers for two I think. MAGICKA series has some fun entries too, lots of funny mistakes. Again, maybe too twitchy.
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2028
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds