Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 12 Feb 2018 00:38 #263419

I've seen all of these except the latest maze runner and they all trend downwards after the first one. Hunger games was still the best of the lot though.
  • Pat II
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 100
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 12 Feb 2018 08:25 #263426

I think Hunger Games 2 might be better than the first one. Not sure tho
  • Black Barney
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3024
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 12 Feb 2018 10:33 #263430

Josh Look wrote:
I think you got the gist of the whole movie. Energy crisis, blah blah blah, Shepherd not working, blah blah, screaming, repeat. It’s alternate dimension bumping into each other, shit is going wrong in all dimensions because of what happens in this movie, and they show the Cloverfield monster for the idiots who thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was too slow.

I just saved 110 minutes for everyone, you’re welcome.

So... I watched this a few days ago.

The synopsis, is spot on.

Like an obstinate child who refuses to listen to the wisdom of his elders, I just had to experience it all for myself. Only to show that, yet again, father knows best.

I still think that for the Kaiju genre, Cloverfield is the best movie ever made when considering the humanocentric element.

Cloverfield Lane was different, but still pretty damn good. It beats up expectations, but still a solid thriller.

I have no clue what the hell they were thinking here. I expect a lot more from bad robot. Shame too, because the cast is fairly solid and with some more time in preproduction writing and then post production editing, it could have been a really decent sci fi. The budget seemed to be close enough.

The exposition, as you already noted, is pretty ott. But in some other places it isn't nearly enough. It's like they cut out scenes so that they could over explain others...

It reminds me of The Cube. Solid initial offering but by the time the third movie hits, you want to claw your long term memory out with a rusty spoon in order to forget it ever happened.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 979
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Feb 2018 20:27 #263865

Just saw Black Panther, and it easily slots in with the top echelon of the Marvel films. In some ways it is the best of the lot, if only because it is far more thoughtful, high-minded and really quite moving.

First things first, “does it have the flop final battle”. Kind of. But it’s better than usual, and the outcome is actually tragic and sad- Kilmonger is a far more nuanced, sympathetic, and REAL villain than anything the Marvel films have produced to date. It’s one of those cases where the bad guy has a point, isn’t necessarily wrong, but has simply become corrupt and lost to the world. His defeat is not a victory.

As for the remainder, it’s remarkable to see an Afro-futurist Utopia on screen in a science fiction movie that is- at last- not by, for, and about whites people. Sure, Martin Freeman is there as the token white but it is clear that he is an observer and secondary actor, and the story and its outcomes are not about white people or white civilization. I think this is really profoundly important and long overdue.

The superheroics are really pretty muted. This is not an all-out supers battle at all, T’Challa and all of the Black Panther lore are used very judiciously- and it’s not even an origin story. There are no laborious scenes of him learning how to be Black Panther.

The cast is uniformly great. Boseman emerges as a powerful heroic figure, Jordan is just sensational as Kilmonger. Letitia Wright steals the show with her Shuri. This film is also PACKED with strong women- martially, spiritually, and morally. There are some ways I think the film is even more feminist than Wonder Woman.

The script is a little sluggish in spots, the pacing doesn’t quite feel as kinetic as you might wish that it was. But there’s also more breathing room for some of the more compelling material to develop.

Above all, it’s a great superhero film that shows the value of diversity and new cultural approaches to genre material. It is absolutely about positive representation, and it is an idea whose time has to be right now.
  • Michael Barnes
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6519
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Not Sure

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Feb 2018 23:29 #263871

Ahem. Let's be clear here: With Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis as the only white guys in the film, they are clearly the Tolkien white guys.
  • Jackwraith
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1083
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, sfunk37, Gregarius

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Feb 2018 23:38 #263872

• Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 979
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 19 Feb 2018 10:03 #263891

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jackwraith, siberianhusky, Colorcrayons

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 19 Feb 2018 10:44 #263901

Just watched A Ghost Story. At its core, there is an astonishing piece of imaginative storytelling which captures all the horror and pathos of our own mortality, brilliantly realised.

The trouble is, that's worth about 45-60 minutes of film, and it's 90 minutes long.

Some of slack is taken up by ridiculously overlong shots. Like, minutes overlong. At first there's a certain pleasure in this, encouraging you to take in details in the scene you might otherwise miss. But as the film - and the shots - go on, it begins to try your patience. Making the audience watch a grieving woman eat a pie for five whole minutes is taking the piss.

The rest is occupied by a bizarre and confusing time paradox that, in my opinion, adds nothing to the film. I get why it's there, but I'd been busy thinking over the implications of the film's treatment of time long before it started. There wasn't much else to do during that pie scene, after all.

My wife hated it. I thought it was a shame that such a fantastic idea was badly spoiled by stretching it to feature length.
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
  • Thank you received: 872
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2018 10:45 by MattDP.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 20 Feb 2018 00:16 #263978

I finally got to see Wonder Woman. I felt that it was pretty average. I liked everything about Diana herself, but all of the other characters... I couldn't have cared less about them. Chris Pine is a bore. At least the villain from Fargo season 3 is good, but the Dragon Ball Z fight didn't do it for me.

The lasso of truth was cool as hell.

Tonight I watched the new Netflix movie The Ritual. Combine The Descent and Blair Witch Project and you have a decent idea of what to expect. It's not amazing, but you can find worse things to do with 90 minutes.
  • hotseatgames
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1806

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 20 Feb 2018 03:53 #263981

Saw Lady Bird today. It was good and I really enjoyed it but like so many drama/Oscar films I have no interest in ever seeing it again. Having seen The Shape of Water last week I feel like I have seen a few of the Best Picture Oscar contenders (though not Three Billboards yet). I feel Get Out deserves Best Film, The Shape of Water Best Director and Lady Bird Best Screenplay which is kind of weird as normally those 3 line up for me.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds