Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 05 Feb 2018 17:53 #262910

Isn't Firbeball Island supposed to hit KS soon?
  • Colorcrayons
  • Colorcrayons's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1175
  • Thank you received: 980
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 17 Feb 2018 18:30 #263825

Well, it turns out that Nightdive Studios has put the System Shock remake on hiatus. The plan was to make a faithful recreation of System Shock; instead they got caught up in feature creep and expanding the game - neither of which the backers really wanted - in hopes of luring securing additional investor funds, which failed. Now they're mostly out of money and hope to have the game done in 18 to 24 months. I'm not so optimistic; it looks probable that I'm going to end up with my first KS cautionary tale to share.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 17 Feb 2018 21:43 #263826

Shame. According to that statement, it seems like they used the backers as investors that they have no responsibility towards.

I could be wrong, but don't business investors have contracts that obligate a company to them for compensation?

If true, then Kickstarter is nothing but a den of potential thieves who have no obligation to fulfill since Kickstarter washes it's hands of involvement.

Spurious.
  • Colorcrayons
  • Colorcrayons's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1175
  • Thank you received: 980
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 18 Feb 2018 02:02 #263832

That sucks. And it re-affirms my stance of never backing video game projects. Their failure rate is just too high.
  • hotseatgames
  • hotseatgames's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Posts: 3933
  • Thank you received: 1808
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 18 Feb 2018 08:40 #263836

Colorcrayons wrote:
I could be wrong, but don't business investors have contracts that obligate a company to them for compensation?

As a rule, no.
  • Sagrilarus
  • Sagrilarus's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6064
  • Thank you received: 2923
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 18 Feb 2018 09:59 #263841

Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Colorcrayons
  • Colorcrayons's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1175
  • Thank you received: 980
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 18 Feb 2018 13:50 #263854

I was short for time so left a brief answer. If you're talking a bank loan, then yes, there's a debt and the bank has firsties on payojts during a bankruptcy action. But venture capitalists, i.e., speculators, get a percent share of the company and hope for it to hit. They'll spread their costs across dozens of ventures, all will die save one leaving them holding the bag. But the one that succeeds may pay back 10,000 to 1 or more, so jt works as a business model.

Kickstarter is much more in the venture model. In fact its original intent was to be a donation service where you got nothing in return save for fulfilling the inventor's dreams. It's changed, but that "make our dream a reality" verbiage lingers on. In theory you can go after them for an implied contract in court, but that's a lot of work to get your $49 back. It's a lot of work even for a class action suit . Anybody doing this for big money is going to have an LLC set up, and when the LLC has no money there's no money.

You take your chances.
  • Sagrilarus
  • Sagrilarus's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6064
  • Thank you received: 2923
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Colorcrayons

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 21 Feb 2018 09:04 #264091

The Xia KS ended, so it's official: Planet Steam is no longer the game I spent the most on in one go.
  • Legomancer
  • Legomancer's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 2155
  • Thank you received: 1970
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 21 Feb 2018 10:26 #264103

You've held the line well.
  • Gary Sax
  • Gary Sax's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Posts: 8008
  • Thank you received: 2774
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 21 Feb 2018 11:46 #264113

I'm generally one for extremely cheap Kickstarters, so true to that I've backed Return Of The Lazy Dungeon Master. I have already read and appreciated the first Lazy Dungeon Master book by Mike Shea, because it focuses on doing work that your players will actually see, rather than all of the world-building that DMs like to do instead of actually making the game more fun for the players. It's been really valuable for me, and the updated version takes into account new rules in 5e, which the original did not.

I'm only in for the $8 level, which means I just get a PDF version. That said, the stretch goals have become extensive. There are now high-res environment maps, an e-book version, and most important to me, a prep book for DMs with all sorts of tools for tracking the sort of info in the book.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 21 Feb 2018 12:01 #264116

san il defanso wrote:
I'm generally one for extremely cheap Kickstarters, so true to that I've backed Return Of The Lazy Dungeon Master. I have already read and appreciated the first Lazy Dungeon Master book by Mike Shea, because it focuses on doing work that your players will actually see, rather than all of the world-building that DMs like to do instead of actually making the game more fun for the players. It's been really valuable for me, and the updated version takes into account new rules in 5e, which the original did not.

I'm only in for the $8 level, which means I just get a PDF version. That said, the stretch goals have become extensive. There are now high-res environment maps, an e-book version, and most important to me, a prep book for DMs with all sorts of tools for tracking the sort of info in the book.

That sounds good. I never consciously thought in those terms, but it helps explain the popularity of my DM style with my players. I don't do world-building, I buy a setting and then zero in on the elements that might entertain my players. I do a lot of prep, but it tends to be in two specific categories: visual aids (maps, tokens, pictures) and DM reference aids that help me run the game more efficiently. I made a custom game screen to focus on the rules that I needed to look up the most, like turning undead and breaking inanimate objects. I used color-coded bookmarks to help me find key info quickly in the rules. Stat blocks for every potential opponent or ally. Even a tracking sheet and counters to monitor spell durations for both players and npcs.
  • Shellhead
  • Shellhead's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 7225
  • Thank you received: 2902
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 21 Feb 2018 12:05 #264118

Shellhead wrote:
san il defanso wrote:
I'm generally one for extremely cheap Kickstarters, so true to that I've backed Return Of The Lazy Dungeon Master. I have already read and appreciated the first Lazy Dungeon Master book by Mike Shea, because it focuses on doing work that your players will actually see, rather than all of the world-building that DMs like to do instead of actually making the game more fun for the players. It's been really valuable for me, and the updated version takes into account new rules in 5e, which the original did not.

I'm only in for the $8 level, which means I just get a PDF version. That said, the stretch goals have become extensive. There are now high-res environment maps, an e-book version, and most important to me, a prep book for DMs with all sorts of tools for tracking the sort of info in the book.

That sounds good. I never consciously thought in those terms, but it helps explain the popularity of my DM style with my players. I don't do world-building, I buy a setting and then zero in on the elements that might entertain my players. I do a lot of prep, but it tends to be in two specific categories: visual aids (maps, tokens, pictures) and DM reference aids that help me run the game more efficiently. I made a custom game screen to focus on the rules that I needed to look up the most, like turning undead and breaking inanimate objects. I used color-coded bookmarks to help me find key info quickly in the rules. Stat blocks for every potential opponent or ally. Even a tracking sheet and counters to monitor spell durations for both players and npcs.

I find that even when I do a lot of planning I end up winging most of it anyway. Might as well prepare to wing it, rather than wring my hands that all my work is for naught.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 21 Feb 2018 12:11 #264120

I expect that the players will surprise me, so the nature of my prep is not in service of a story that will probably get derailed. I did stat blocks for every creature that could be summoned by players. I did stat blocks for every npc and creature they would encounter, unless it was somebody too weak to survive a single wound. I made tokens for everything, even non-combatants, though I often re-used tokens for certain situations, like a crowded bar or guards on duty. I did spell duration tracking tokens for every spell in the game that had a duration of more than one combat round, and multiple counters for the popular spells.
  • Shellhead
  • Shellhead's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 7225
  • Thank you received: 2902
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds