Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 Oct 2017 11:19 #255921

Ah yes, a Freighter with a combo drive would be quite formidable. That does seem like a lot of overhead, but it occurs to me that a freighter might give the opportunity to tap out of the spaceport arms race, and allow the other players to build the infrastructure that you will use.

What a terrific game.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 Oct 2017 13:31 #255927

Tron wrote:
I'm intrigued by this commander thing, do you have any idea whether something like this is just overpriced nonsense, or worth it for a casual intro to the format for people who havent done the deck building/drafting and might not want to start with that aspect

magic.wizards.com/en/products/commander-anthology

its some kind of posh box set I've seen in the FLGS with some presetup commander decks I guess.

That box is a reprint of some of the old sought-after precon Commander decks. What you probably want is the Commander 2017 set:
magic.wizards.com/en/products/commander-2017

This is A) cheaper and B) all revolving around similar themes, unlike the Anthology which grabs one deck from of the last few years of Commander sets.

That said, the Commander Anthology would also be just fine; a little more expensive, that's all.

Also, a warning: Commander games tend to be crazy with crazy-complicated board states and wild effects. This is both awesome (as it highlights a lot of what Magic so fun) but also makes it atrociously bad for teaching someone to play Magic. For that, stick with something like the latest Planeswalker decks, or, even better, the FREE sample decks you should be able to get at any game store, that will be especially simple.
  • dragonstout
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 490
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds