Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 17 Jul 2017 18:08 #251286

Jexik wrote:
For those who like it but started to tire of it, I think the expansion gives it a little more legs. (But again I'm pretty biased since I ran the testing on the expansion). It solved some of my issues with your action dice being spoken for with some of the most powerful characters (i.e. soldier dude, cook lady, mama, etc.), giving better excuses for survivors to move, and more crossroads cards to freshen it up a little bit. For new gamers who are into all the pop culture zombie stuff and like reading paragraphs of text (like you might see in Betrayal at the House on the Hill), I think it's a good introduction to games. It's just not a really challenging strategy game or a stimulating simulation.

I haven't played the expansion, but I do like the base game, for the few times I've played it. Two of those times were last Friday, which were with my daughter and her boyfriend. They liked it enough the first time that they played it again. I'd count that as a success. :)
  • RobertB
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 346
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 Jul 2017 11:39 #251328

Here's a PSA, (that is totally legit and not confusing in anyway) for those of you who have a burning desire to throw money at Wizards of the Coast. Because of this video, you shall make it rain all over Richard Garfields face.

• Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 659

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 Jul 2017 13:33 #251336

Last night, I played Colonial Twilight, the new two-player COIN game from GMT. Much of the essence of COIN is still there. You may not carry out your schemes completely and at the time of your choosing, but the flow of the game is more satisfying. I find that most COIN games test my patience. While I enjoy many of them, there can be long stretches where the sequence of events and initiative may keep you out of the action for a few consecutive rounds. COIN games typically drive players to put themselves in the best position to seize a tactical opportunity rather than an exhibit of grand strategy.

Colonial Twilight has more action, but quite a few constraints to hamstring your best laid plans. The number of forces feels insufficient for both sides. Both the government and rebels have a skeleton crew for meeting their ends. It requires a large concentration of forces to recover lost sectors, and concentrated forces are a luxury neither side can afford. The pivotal events (cards that can be played to supercede the revealed event card in play) felt a bit bland. Scott and I were making light of the relatively uninspired event cards we found in the early rounds. Three cards in a row offered the FLN “+6 resources” or +”1d6 resources”. Fortunately, we inspected the cards randomly left out of the deck in the Medium length scenario. Instead of a random shuffle, it may be better to just cut the most dull and uninspired 12 event cards from the deck and proceed. Despite the occasional blah event, the game was very good.
  • Unicron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, scrumpyjack, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 Jul 2017 17:24 #251346

Nice! Thanks for the report!

I struggle with COIN games and modern wargames. I worry I'll buy them only to find they are a right wing fantasy version of the topics. Or imperial apologist. Esp COIN anywhere related to colonialism. Most of them sound grounded (eg Fire in the Lake, Distant Plain) but the Labyrinth expansion really soured me. For example, I really want to back Gandhi but that topic is FRAUGHT with potential problems from a historical perspective.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2326
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2017 17:26 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 19 Jul 2017 01:23 #251365

Merchant of Venus tonight. I'd say more but I already have many times.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
Last Edit: 19 Jul 2017 01:24 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 20 Jul 2017 12:20 #251417

Here's a quick recap of Eric Lang's The Godfather:

Gameplay is worker placement with superficial interaction. The Godfather doesn't evoke anything of the source material. Resources are suited cards used to complete jobs(cards) to draw money (cards), which players will place in a briefcase to be counted at the end of game. The most devastating actions are often randomly drawn from the job deck and done without warning, so strategy is a minor consideration. Con: a little boring and uninspired. Pro: it could be played in under an hour if a $70 filler game is your thing.
  • Unicron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, allismom3, jpat, ratpfink, Msample, hotseatgames, Scott_F

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 Jul 2017 19:05 #251526

Hey Legomancer, I saw you played Colonists on Twitter. I tend to like these long, masturbatory exercises as something to do 2 player over coffee or a couple beers (like some people do a puzzle). Any thoughts on it?
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Jul 2017 08:49 #251535

eeehhh... The Colonists is a long game that doesn't justify its length. It's a fairly standard resource management euro with very little interaction. You play through four eras but other than more valuable resources coming out there isn't much distinguishing the first era from the fourth. It's pretty much just doing the usual euro thing, only longer. When I first played it I thought there might be some sort of narrative historical arc -- agrarian to industrial or such -- but there isn't. It feels like going from a point in time to later that same day.

It's also frustrating in that there don't seem to be many viable strategies. With all that's going on you'd expect some different angles of approach but nope, it's just an efficiency race. I ignored the cards my first time and did okay. This time I decided to focus on them and lost huge, just as the person who focused on them did in our first game. It's a strategy that isn't a strategy, despite mechanisms in place to point you towards it. It's meant to be something you do on the side of the standard resource engine thing, but it'll just slow you down with little payoff so why bother at all?

That said, it plays pretty briskly and a pal of mine likes it so I don't mind an occasional play. But I wouldn't buy it or ask for it.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1757
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Jul 2017 12:22 #251539

^Thanks! Pass, I already have Ora et Labora which sounds similar but definitely has branching paths.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Jul 2017 13:36 #251540

Unicron wrote:
Here's a quick recap of Eric Lang's The Godfather:

Gameplay is worker placement with superficial interaction. The Godfather doesn't evoke anything of the source material. Resources are suited cards used to complete jobs(cards) to draw money (cards), which players will place in a briefcase to be counted at the end of game. The most devastating actions are often randomly drawn from the job deck and done without warning, so strategy is a minor consideration. Con: a little boring and uninspired. Pro: it could be played in under an hour if a $70 filler game is your thing.

Sadly, this echoes most everything I've read.

Played a 2p of Fortune and Glory, mostly just the base game plus the Sands of Cairo cards thrown in. I'd had a wary eye on it for quite a while, but when I got an offer for it in exchange for Ticket to Ride and At the Gates of Loyang (the latter of which I liked but could see myself not ever playing a second time), I bit. It was pretty much everything most people said it was in terms of a re-skinned, even chancier (hard to believe that's possible, in some ways) Arkham/Eldritch, but I suspect that if your expectations for it are appropriately modulated and some light roleplaying is thrown in, it's pretty decent. We played with the "super advanced" (or whatever) rules that combined the competitive game with the Vile Organizations and used the fan-revised rulebook on BGG. We (really, I, as the only one who'd read the rules) made some mistakes, but I feel like we got the gist. I think we'll try it again when my wife can join us, and now that the rules are mostly down we can focus a bit more on terrible accents. At some point, I'll probably get the Treasure Hunters expansion because I make it a habit to try to get games with Scottish themes and games with characters named Jenny (as my wife is named Jenn, and she went to grad school in Scotland).

Off to a 7p Cthulhu Wars--my first with more than 5--with a mix of gamers and non gamers, and with only two of us having played before. Will report back.
  • jpat
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 197
Last Edit: 23 Jul 2017 13:38 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Jul 2017 16:31 #251543

Introduced a new player to Techno Bowl this weekend. He loved it, even as I crushed him 21 - 7. The game started off big, with me throwing an interception that he promptly ran in for his only touch down.

The play of the game was when my quarterback ran the ball in for an 80 yard touchdown.

Much trash was talked.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1356
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Jul 2017 22:56 #251551

I didn't like The Colonists at all. Seemed like complexity for the sake of complexity, and just became very very tedious.

I had forgotten about the Kickstarter pledge I made for Spirit Island about two years ago (imagine that!), but it arrived the other day and I'm really digging it. You play as a spirit or spirits (I've played solo using two spirits) who are watching over an island, and trying to fend off the new settlers. It's a full co-op with a heavy Euro feel as far as the card play and managing your possibilities (more in the range of Mage Knight than Pandemic for depth). The artwork is nice and the production is decent. Three plays in and I'm glad I ordered it way back in the distant past!
  • Grudunza
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 785
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Jul 2017 23:11 #251553

I'm playing Brass online, having barely skimmed the rules. My buddy has of course read the rules and probably five strategy articles, so I think he's a little disgusted with me. Unfortunately, there are no VPs for disappointing others.
  • cranberries
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 946
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds