Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Buy your army to crush your enemies.

TOPIC: Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 19 Feb 2018 04:33 #263873

Got the rules at the weekend. Stunned by the miniatures in the book: the paint jobs are so good, they make me feel entirely inadequate.

After skimming the rules, I had a couple of questions. I love wizards that can summon things, so I was immediately drawn to the necromancy and summoning schools. Early in the rules it seems to imply that summoned creatures count against your ten-figure limit unless the spell says otherwise. This is made clear in the zombie spell (you're allowed it as an extra), but not the demon summoning spells. So: does that mean you can't summon an imp or demon unless one of your soldiers dies?

I was going to use armoured skeletons and ghouls as my necromantic "soldiers", but I see these are creature options in the rules. As far as I can tell, I don't have to use those creatures in games if I don't want, though? And are there any supplements where I can add them to my warband? I see they're allowed in the online builder tool.
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
  • Thank you received: 883
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 19 Feb 2018 10:45 #263902

I poured through the FAQ but haven't found anything about it if its in there.

I'll list the relevant spells here to get more feedback from others, along with animal companion for further relation:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

The demon summoning is interesting, but I don't get the impression that it must replace a soldier. I understand how the specific overrides the general and that these two spells confuzzle all that (and my inclusion of animal companion may muddy the waters even more) but from my perspective, it seems like a demon that stays with your warband until it dies or is banished.

I must confess that I haven't had to deal with this yet in game since nobody has ever summoned a demon yet. But it does seem like some good editing work would benefit the game here.

For your last part, the more specialized necromancer/lich stuff is in the Thaw of the Lich Lord supplement.

The main way you get a ton of undead in your warband is with this spell:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Which is even better supported if you can manage to successfully transform your necromancer into a lich. Which isn't easy if the gods of RNG have anything to say about it.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 980
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2018 10:45 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattDP

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 20 Feb 2018 18:20 #264050

imgur.com/a/M0KQB

Played a game today with my son...to get us going quickly, I just set up two identical Warbands- Elementalists with apprentice, 2 archers, two infantrymen, a treasure hunter, and a thief. So not a thug ball, some upgraded dudes. Basic six treasure scenario.

River won the initiative every single turn, and he kicked off with moving his apprentice, thief and two archers up to the top of Christmas hill. Sent his wizard, TH and infantrymen straight to the woods in the middle of the table. I sent the Wizard and his group toward a treasure at the Arcane Ruins to the left and the apprentice and his boys the other way to grab a treasure on the ledge of some ruins. I tried to cast Fleet Feet on my TH, but it backfired badly- 4 damage.

Nothing but movement on round 1- lots of cover. But I grabbed the Ruins treasure on turn 2 and a couple of skeletons spawned (playing 12+ random encounters). River’s thief grabbed a treasure and a bear showed up right by my wizard group. I stupidly sent an infantryman to deal with it, but he just pissed it off, taking 4 damage in the process. My apprentice cast Leap on my thief so he jumped up and grabbed a treasure- and another spawn, giant rats on the side where the skeletons showed up.

To deal with the bear, my Wizard cast Blinding Light with a 19, meaning that th poor thing needed to beat that on a will roll for it to wear off. Needless to say, he never did.

There were a few shots fired- his archers up on Christmas Hill took some potshots at my Ruins team but mostly whiffed, we shot back and I got nice hit with Elemental Ball, doing some damage to everybody up there.

By turn 4, some folks were making off with treasure. An Ice Spider and a Snow Troll spawned, but we mostly managed to evade them. At least until my apprentice made a run for the last treasure. The spider attacked, but I rolled a 19 and managed to defeat it.

I did lose an infantryman to a skeleton and two giant rats- they rolled great, I did not.

River got the message pretty quick that running off with the loot is the thing to do. He made a smart cast of Wall and shut off the skeleton/rat mob and escaped.

We just totaled up gold and River won with 600+ GCs. Next up, I’m going to get him to make his own warband, he wants to play an Enchanter.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6524
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Colorcrayons

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 20 Feb 2018 23:12 #264075

My friend came over tonight and created a warband. I went over the rules briefly and we played a standard scenario. The biggest mistake we made was not following the rule that lets the initiative winner choose a side, which encourages each player to not just place treasure that is easy to get. We were playing Brewmeister's random creature roll of 15+ with it dropping 1 each time someone fails. This only resulted in 1 spawn of 2 armored skeletons, but one of them actually managed to take my hapless apprentice, Stinky Daryl, out of the match. We haven't seen how Daryl has fared. I fear the worst.

Fabulous Melchor, my amazing wizard, attempted to cast Transpose on an enemy thief who was about to exit the board with a treasure. This would have been hilarious, had it worked, but my spell fizzled into nothingness. The next round, an enemy archer was in sight, and Melchor applied an Elemental Blast to his face, putting him out of the fight immediately.

My friend liked it, so hopefully we can keep at it, growing our abilities over time.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1808
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Colorcrayons

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 21 Feb 2018 04:26 #264079

Michael Barnes wrote:
imgur.com/a/M0KQB

Played a game today with my son.

Nice terrain. What's that thing with the dragon and all the runes on the floor?
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 21 Feb 2018 06:17 #264080

Our original map base

frostgravemap.jpg

I got some mdf and cut it into 1X1, 1X2, and 2X2 shapes then applied the peel and stick floor tiles. Worked ok but was kind of heavy to haul around.

So we switched to the GW soulblight necropolis

frostgravemap2.jpg

seems to work pretty well.

My warband

warband.jpg

Albrecht Blitzrufer the wizard and Lorencz his trusty apprentice that suffered a crushed arm early in the campaign. Their typical spellbook procedure is a turn or two of call storm then leaps to get men (or constructs) to and fro with treasure. Wolfgang the knight is a recent addition. Ulrich the barbarian is a bear killer but for some reason has troubles with warhounds. The zombie, Fat Jack the warhound, and Conrad, Jorge, Peter, Gunther, Diterich men at arms round out the band.
  • Brewmiester
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 230
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Mr. White, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 21 Feb 2018 06:20 #264081

Colorcrayons wrote:
Another great resource is this warband builder I found online. It takes nearly all the work out of listbuilding and gives you a tidy print which includes spells on your page.
www.table-top.space/

Is it possible to edit spells after you've created a warband? I can't see how.

Currently wondering how I can use my existing undead figures to stand in as soldiers. So far I've got:

Grave Guard = Knights
2H Grave Guard = Infantryman/Templar

pic647849.jpg

Ghouls = Thug/Thief

pic647854.jpg

Dire Wolf = War Hound
Zombie = Summoned Zombie
Banshee = Summoned Imp/Demon

Perhaps that's enough. I don't have any undead with ranged weapons but (not actually having played yet) I'm cool with that. Makes a vaguely interesting theme with the warband. Planning to load up my necromancer with some ranged attacks spells to cover the shortfall.

They've got mixed bases - some square, some round, some rectangular. I can't see that matters from the rules although it's aesthetically annoying.

Looking through my collection, I am tempted to replace my Necromancer figure. My existing ones are both old 25mm ones and the scale difference shows, they're clearly worn and the paint jobs are terrible.

pic647857.jpg

I have got a wizard-vampire figure I could use, but I'm not sure I want to.

Tempted to buy the GW battlemage box and build one. I'd like to see the sprue first, though, and I can't find a picture of it. Also, I'm not sure if you can build their "necromancer" figure from the parts.

I have no-one to play it against, so this is probably all pie in the sky planning, but it's kind of fun. I should be writing instead though.
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
Last Edit: 21 Feb 2018 06:51 by MattDP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Brewmiester, Colorcrayons

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 21 Feb 2018 08:15 #264088

It’s pretty fun solo...more so than other tabletop games. If you do lots of encounters, you can do just like a treasure run.

I kind of love those old Necromancers! There is an official Frostgrave Necromancer/Apprentice set, they are pretty decent.

That terrain piece is the Dragonfate Dais. I really like that one, it was actually the first piece I bought when I got into Age of Sigmar. It’s out of production now, though.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6524
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattDP

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 21 Feb 2018 09:22 #264094

Michael Barnes wrote:
It’s pretty fun solo...more so than other tabletop games. If you do lots of encounters, you can do just like a treasure run.

Might try that, then, although I don't have much interest in solo play but it's a good way to get a feel for the flow of the game. The Walking Dead miniatures game is pretty fun solitaire since the zombies have a little AI routine to follow.
Michael Barnes wrote:
I kind of love those old Necromancers! There is an official Frostgrave Necromancer/Apprentice set, they are pretty decent.

The one on the left is a great figure - it's the original Lichmaster, from before all the tiresome Nagash lore. But it's a terrible paint job with the bulgy eyes and the lipstick, and it's tiny. The one on the right is the old Mouth of Sauron from a GW Lord of the Rings line, years prior to their being an actual game to use them in. I don't like it that much as a sculpt. The "official" Frostgrave ones are okay, but I like the Battlemages better, I think.

848586113731151_1665337357119076_1773863909_n.jpg
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE 21 Feb 2018 10:38 #264105

I fucking hate solo games unless it is to teach myself how to play.

But... This game does work well solo. There are even missions made to play it that way which aren't bad.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 980
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds