Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Buy your army to crush your enemies.

TOPIC: Let's Talk: 40K

Let's Talk: 40K 21 Nov 2017 23:25 #258023

Had an arranged 40K game today at the store, but then we saw a Necromunda demo copy set out on the table, so we did that instead after a 3-second hesitation.
What I like most about this Necromunda is the alternate activation, and so did the people I played and those who watched.
Actually, I talked to a guy who said he played 40K in his group using the alternate activation instead of IGOYOUGO, and that it mitigated the issue of alpha striking. I'm really interested in giving it a try.
  • Vlad
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 554
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Let's Talk: 40K 12 Dec 2017 23:53 #259010

So I played my first two games in my newly joined escalation league, my 3rd and 4th game of 8th edition. These were 500 point lists and this is what I ended up going with.

Company Commander
Infantry Squad x3, 2 with Lascannons
Demolisher with 3 H. Bolters
Tempestor Prime w/ Plasma Pistol
Scions w/ Plasma Pistol and Plasma Gun x 2

Game 1 was against Genestealer Cult. They had put over half their points in a close combat super unit that got screwed with their special deployment rules and ended up on the far side of the table away from everything. Cleaned up the rest of his list, eventually the super unit made it into the backfield but by then it was too late. Would've wiped him out on turn 5 but my Demolisher basically wiffed all its rolls. Lost the scions after they dropped into his backfield and 1 infantry squad who took the late game charge of the super unit. MVP - Deep Striking Scions: the 5 man squads hit hard, then die hard... but they hit hard first.

Game 2 was against a Dark Angel list with only 3 units. A squad of 5 termies, a commander in termie armor, and a squad of scouts. He went first and deep struck his termies right in front of my whole army, wanting to charge in and tie up my tank after shooting a lot. He failed the charge and the whole army unloaded on him wiping the termies. Then the terminator commander charged up and hit the scions and failed to finish them... they fell back and the whole army unloaded on the commander killing him. Then the army unloaded on the scouts and killed them. We lost 7 infantry models. MVP - Deep Striking Scions. Overcharged Plasma crushed the termies.

Things learned about 40k. Still very dice heavy (I actually like this) and super important to position models prevent deep strikes, to take charges, and limit follow up moves from tieing up units. There are tactics, but in the end its always gonna be a very beer and pretzels game. I continue to be amazed that there is such a large tourney/competitive scene for a game with rules like this.

Guard: I thought my basic infantry squads were awesome and fun to run up the field dying as they went. I've always leaned toward including heavy weapons teams... but I think the basic 40 point squad of just lasguns is more important to how I play guard, throwing bodies around! Order system is great fun! Hot dice make a guard army VERY strong.

I had a blast, my opponents were great teachers and made it fun. Looking forward to what 750 point games bring. Here's what likely will be my list.

Company Commander
Tank Commander Punisher w/ 3 H. Bolters and Storm Bolter
3 Infantry Squads
Demolisher w/ 3 Heavy Bolters
Tempestor Prime w/ Rod
5 man Scion w/ Plasma Pistol and Plasma x2
5 man Scion w/ Plasma Pistol and Plasma x2
  • Da Bid Dabid
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 612

Let's Talk: 40K 13 Dec 2017 23:11 #259070

Game 2 sounds incredibly satisfying.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2643

Let's Talk: 40K 13 Dec 2017 23:55 #259071

Yeah, you know, when you cut through all of the folderol, 40k really is a beer and pretzels game. It's _silly_ as hell, and when it is at its best is when it is slightly off the hinges a bit or when the almost impossible becomes possible because of a heroic (or completely blundered) die roll. You can have the best unit on the board and it's alpha striked turn one, so you have to spend the rest of the game figuring out what the hell to do. If you can't laugh at the capriciousness of not rolling anything 4 up on 20 dice, then 40k is not for you.

It is funny that it's such a competitive, SERIOUS thing for some people. I don't get it. But play at those SERIOUS levels and you see a very different game. It becomes about list abuse, spamming especially effective units and exploiting the iffier rules. I think it says a lot that you can run a list consisting of Magnus and a horde of Brimstone Horrors and _win tournaments_...and what it says is "it ain't that serious chief". There are a TON of units and even factions that the SERIOUS players never touch, and if you look online you can see all kinds of Mathhammer stuff determining if units are competitive or not competitive. But there again, I don't really give a shit. When I put my Eldar army together, I didn't really care that I wasn't bringing in the top Craftworld units. I specifically wanted to do a highly mobile Saim-Hann force strictly consisting of bikes, tanks, and a little air support. Nothing touching the ground. I _should_ run a couple of Wave Serpents filled with Wraithguard, Dark Reapers, something like that...but I don't wanna.

Guard is so good this edition...I know you are loving that Punisher, it is a total monster against light units. I put Plasma on the sponsons on mine to make it extra hateful...since I usually play with power levels, the cost isn't an issue. You'd probably really dig a Taurox Prime, it's actually a pretty solid medium tank option. I run mine with the "suboptimal" missile launcher because I thought it looked the coolest and I didn't have anything else that threw giant missiles at stuff.

It also sounds like Conscripts would suit your bodies style. Fast, cheap and out of control lasguns.

I pretty much always take the Heavy Weapon option, there again just because it's cool. Usually Lascannons because they are versatile and powerful. If I have some guardsmen holding down a position or in the backfield, I'll give them a mortar team. Mortars are good.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6307

Let's Talk: 40K 14 Dec 2017 00:41 #259073

I think it starts getting complex at 1250+ points, with more units&combos to juggle.
I also find that unexperienced players rarely take into account those plasma-powered scions. You absolutely need to deal with deep-striking units, such as creating a bubble around your armored units, use stratagems, whatever. Four plasmas will destroy a dreadnought with one salvo if they manage to get to 12 inches. At 500-750 pts that means game over on turn 1.
  • Vlad
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 554
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds