Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Are We Old?

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 14:28 #260276

I'm 52. Based on various past remarks here at F:AT by other members, I get the sense that the average age of our members might be around 45 or even higher. I also get the sense that the age range is much broader at TOS, and the average age there probably skews younger. Is it possible that there is a strong correlation between age and the preference for AmeriTrash-style games? I think so, and I believe it's because many of us were in this hobby before BGG became a thing, and so we were resistant to the emerging propaganda there regarding the supremacy of Eurogames.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3128
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 14:45 #260279

I'm 42. I literally just got my first ever hangover. Spins ALL DAY, tired and kind of out of it.

So yes.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 4015
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 14:51 #260281

Anyone that is on this site is obviously young at heart and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3115
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur, SuperflyTNT

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 14:54 #260283

In this photo you can see from left to right: Sag looking impatient as he waits for his next set Ironclads of Glory to arrive featuring both the Merrimack and Monitor, me in the beard, Josh look in the middle telling us how correct his latest opinion is, Jur in the back rolling his eyes at the rest of us, MSample seated and steadfastly refusing to acknowledge he knows who we are llet alone actually play a game with us, and that's Engineer Al on the end looking for someone to bum a cigarette off of.

TL:DR Yah, we are old.

IMG_1486.jpg
  • repoman
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2233
All Hammers All the Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur, mads b., Gary Sax, allismom3, Sagrilarus, Jexik, engineer Al

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:06 #260285

Here's a portrait of me in my younger days. I kept a copy of checkers in my trunk even back then.

• Mad Dog
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1675
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2018 15:06 by Mad Dog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur, Southernman, DukeofChutney

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:12 #260288

I gave up on that old-fashioned geezers-with-tweezer crap and moved on to games like Stone Age.

286_news_lascaux1.jpg

Edit: A friend of my daughter's was telling me about how exciting Risk was. I haven't had a chance to drag out anything a little fancier, like Nexus Ops. So there's hope yet.
  • RobertB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 469
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2018 15:14 by RobertB.

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:19 #260290

repoman wrote:
In this photo you can see from left to right: Sag looking impatient as he waits for his next set Ironclads of Glory to arrive featuring both the Merrimack and Monitor, me in the beard, Josh look in the middle telling us how correct his latest opinion is, Jur in the back rolling his eyes at the rest of us, MSample seated and steadfastly refusing to acknowledge he knows who we are llet alone actually play a game with us, and that's Engineer Al on the end looking for someone to bum a cigarette off of.

IMG_1486.jpg

Thank you for not making me Sheridan.

I think we tend older, I also think the average age on the site is rising by about a year each year it goes on. Not a lot of new blood here.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3036

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:20 #260291

I'm 45, and today was noting, as Stone Temple Pilots came on the radio, that the song was 25 years old.

I was also called a game snob for hating on Apples to Apples.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1937
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur, Black Barney

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:24 #260292

I specifically brought the g/f here to skew that to the left but it barely had any effect :(
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3115
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:27 #260295

repoman wrote:

Think you were doing well until you mentioned Josh Look (bloody noisy whippersnapper)

Oh, yeah - I started feeling old quite a while ago.
  • Southernman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Eat Steel !
  • Thank you received: 461
Konieczkarian
F:ATies 'Spawn of Ameritrash' Worldwide Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...7e41fde832d5ff51&z=2
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2018 15:28 by Southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:28 #260296

I'm 40.

I don't think this site skews older than BGG. I think, in general, "hobby" gamers just tend to be in their 30s-50s. That's who I mostly see out at local public events, anyways.
I'm 45, and today was noting, as Stone Temple Pilots came on the radio, that the song was 25 years old.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was an older song to kids graduating from high school in '16 than Stairway to Heaven was to me when I graduated. That realization was the first time I ever felt kinda old.
  • bfkiller
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 486
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2018 15:29 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, SuperflyTNT

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:29 #260297

As one might decipher from my handle, I am 44 years old. I like conflict in my games and dice based drama.
  • the_jake_1973
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 532
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:31 #260298

hotseatgames wrote:
I was also called a game snob for hating on Apples to Apples.

I think you could do a lot worse than Apples to Apples. I'd rather watch Chopped reruns than play Mexican Train dominoes, which is about as an exciting a game as a lot of my family will play. I'm not convinced that's even a game.
  • RobertB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 469
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2018 15:35 by RobertB. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:33 #260299

Older than BGG, younger than CSW. That's the F:AT demographic. (angrier than BGG, less angry than CSW also works).

I definitely think age is a factor, just based on what games were popular at formative times of your life. Not the sole factor, as there are plenty of cube-pushers in their 40s.
  • Not Sure
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 870
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southernman, Gary Sax, allismom3, RobertB, Msample, Frohike

Are We Old? 05 Jan 2018 15:52 #260305

Mad Dog wrote:
Here's a portrait of me in my younger days. I kept a copy of checkers in my trunk even back then.

My high school photo is a cave painting

• SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 4015
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds